Today is my birthday. I woke up to lots of rain - the kind I love when I can sit with a book or a movie and a cup of coffee. After hiding in bed for a while I got up to get some birthday breakfast. Colleen, Christine, and I took the metro downtown to Le Pain Quotidien, where we met Georgie, Katie, Laura, and Stephanie.
I don't think I could have asked for a better way to celebrate my birthday in Lille. The restaurant was really comfortable, and made cozier by the cold rain outside; the food was great; and the company was wonderful. I also had the biggest cup of coffee I've seen since arriving in France.
Oh, and Georgie taught me how to eat a soft-boiled egg, a skill I will practice and bring home to the States with me.
We parted at the metro with plans for a late lunch at Katie, Laura, and Georgie's house. They made us roast chicken, carrots, onions, and parsnips, which we had with bread and gravy. So good. They're so hospitable and fun to be around.
Now that I'm stuffed full of wonderfully indulgent food, it's time to study. Next weekend is a trip to Paris with ULYSSE, our exchange student association. But I will probably write an update before then because I have some pictures of campus to share.
For your enjoyment, a family portrait. Brought to you by Skype.

No comments:
Post a Comment